To get my blood they have to inject some poison which itches very badly. I give a rats ass about the scientific explanation. Why has god not designed this better? I had no problem to shed a few drops if it helps the environment.
So why this itching? I guess I can´t change the anatomy and function of Mosquitos, Sandflies, Knott (Scandinavian term for tiny, tiny and even smaller) insects which give a real burn. My friend „Lasse the flybox maker“ calls them „little mouthes with wings attached. Here in Scandinavia it can be quite severe, but remember - itching normally means that some hatch is going on and you´ll be catching fish soon. I promise. ;-)
What I propose is to deal with the problem.
- try to be in windy place when it gets too tough
- make sure to dress to the occasion - tight sleeves on the shirts and trousers, sting proof fabric
- a cap is essential
- a buff impregnatetd with some kind of DEET product
- thin neoprene gloves
- sunglasses which cover the eyes tightly does help against the „knott“
- get insects repellent with a high concentration of DEET (given you have kids already and do not want more)
- a net for over the head - make sure it is tight enough for the smallest of the bastards - you won´t see much when you use it, but it is really a last resort measure ;-)
- after bite medicine to ease the itch
- insect repellent which can be burned
- make a campfire and stand in the smoke
- insect spray
- coffee for staying awake
selection of armory agains the "biting bastards"
mozzie net - I can´t see (pun intended) how one can possibly fish efficiently wit this,
so for me this is more of a "last resort solution when the panic kicks in
DEET is "the shit" - max legal concentration to sell in Norway is 20%
Important is tactics and calmness. It is a good idea to dress and protect the exposed skin before you go „out“. Generally it is too late once you are in a mozzie zone . Stay calm.
Don´t panic! - frantically fighting hem off by waving your arms just attracts them and makes them even more agressive.
So again - Don´t panic! - it´s only mozzies
Enjoy the fishing. /t.z.