The Reach Cast – also called the Reach Mend [sorry about that – it’s because of the Sexyloops Board, where many years ago we pointed out that the Reach Cast is in fact a Mend, and then the FFF decided to rename it (not my decision!!!)].
- The Loop is cast in the vertical plane and then the rod is reached over to one side.
- The fly line should form a straight line from rod tip to fly.
- You can shoot line into the Reach or not. Not shooting line pulls the fly closer – and is a useful way of shortening line to present to a fish that appears closer than expected! I often use it when Snakehead fishing in Malaysia.
- The main use for a Reach Cast/Mend is to overcome drag situations when casting across currents.
- It can be used for casting around an obstruction.
- It can also be used to shorten the delivery.
- It can be used to position the line along a bank or weed bed for retrieving the fly in a fish-catching manner.
After the Collapsed Cast, the Reach Cast is your second most useful presentation cast. It is the only Presentation Cast that results in a straight line configuration.
Got a question? Ask here on the Board: http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/viewforum.php?f=68
Or send me an email: email@example.com